Thursday, June 3, 2010

"You're lovely and so beautiful...."

"You're lovely and so beautiful!"
He languishes in sighs,
"I've never seen such ivory skin,
Or such jewel-like eyes.
Your lips are rose, your smile is gold,
Your radiance never dies.

"You walk just as a goddess would
With a light and airy tread,
You wander like a dreamy wish
Where dreams are never dead.
Your brightness dims the yellow sun,
His brilliance is fled.

"Your tone rivals the nightingale,
As you raise your voice in song,
Your laugh is music to my ears,
When, pensive, I'm alone
And when you're gone out of my sight,
The days are hard and long.

"So here I am on bended knee,
A diamond ring in hand.
Please take away my misery
And wear this golden band.
Bring me joy and happiness -
Make me the happiest man!"

Alas! before the wedding date
He spies a lovely girl,
His heart is got, his eyes are caught
His head is in a whirl.
"Have I loved ere I saw her face?
The loveliest in the world!"

"You're lovely and so beautiful,"
He writes now eagerly,
He thinks of naught else but her face
And courts melancholy.
And what about his first true love?
"She wasn't right for me!"


Nina Alahakoon 3/6/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment